So for the last two weeks of July, since before I was born that has been the time that my parents have chosen to take their vacation in the summer. Until this year, I would travel with them to spend two weeks with my grandmothers.
This year has been different in many respects for me, I did not travel with them for Christmas to the same destination is spoken above, instead I chose to stay home sharing Christmas with a friend. When summer holidays rolled around this year, I again opted to stay home.
I had a lot of things on the go, apartment hunting, job hunting, and frankly I just wanted to see if I could stay on my own for that two-week stint — call it a trial period. Again, as it was at Christmas my friend stayed with me. Despite a few minor calamities we survived to tell the tale.
The Minor Calamities
On the middle weekend we were being picked up to attend a cultural festival. At 5:30 a.m. I woke up to use the wash room and then headed back to bed. At 6 a.m. I woke up to clocks flashing and this peculiar beeping noise I’d never heard before.
After a little detective work my friend and I determined that the beeping was coming from the carbon monoxide detector just outside my bedroom. Now, how exactly do I shut this thing off? I opened the back patio door to allow for air circulation that did not stop it. So, at 10 after six in the morning I called my family, woke up my 94-year-old grandmother, who had to walk outside and yell up to my mom to come down stairs and take the phone, as she herself could not climb stairs. In doing so, I woke up the house.
Mom advised that I just unplugged the CO2 detector and plug it back in. That does not resolve the issue either. Then I looked more closely at the unit and found that there was one of those depressed reset buttons that need something to be stuck in the hole. I used the prong of a fork to reset the unit and all was well. Mom called a few hours later when I told them we’d figured it out she said you did remember to unplug it before you used a metal fork to reset it right? Of course!
The other minor calamity I had was the day before they came back. I had a shower dropped a face cloth, finished my shower in my parents en suite bathroom, went into the bedroom and found what look like a lake on their hardwood floor. Mop it up the best I could but they found some water in the basement the next day. To my knowledge, there wasn’t any serious permanent damage due to my flood!
if you like my content why not help me out by joining my mailing list its free Click Here to Subscribe you will receive a email from me and a free gift just for signing up! and every time i post an new blog post you will get an email for that too.