I have done my best to list 5 Perceptions I Have About Social Stigma, Disability with regard to teenagers
1. Being with someone with a visible disability is un-cool
2. If I am friends with ____ what will my friends think of me because me new friend has a disability?
3. Youth get enjoyment from excluding their peers with disabilities (I have come to realize as I got older that this wasn’t done intentionally nor was there enjoyment from it –just what was perceived)
4. Kids think it would be fun to have a wheelchair – if only they knew how lonely, difficult, Etc socially sometimes
5. Somehow people compare academic intelligence with disability assuming that if I have done something successfully that it therefore must have been easy. (I actually had a classmate say that to my face in college after completing certification exams)
I hope you enjoyed this article – whether you agree with everything or not, send me your comments. opinions, suggestions and experiences – your input is very welcomed and much appreciated!
if you like my content why not help me out by joining my mailing list its free Click Here to Subscribe you will receive a email from me and a free gift just for signing up! and every time i post an new blog post you will get an email for that too.